Monday 23 December 2013

Fogcreature - "How I Got into Horror Music"

When i was a kid, my parents kept me and my sister in day care while they worked. One place we stayed hosted a halloween sleep over. They let the older kids watch awesome, bloody, horror movies. I wasn't old enough to watch, because I was seven, so i snuck into the room where the movies were playing and watched Pet Semetary all the way through. I was behind a bookshelf, scared to death. From then on I was hooked on horror movies. I've also been drawing bloody, gory pictures since kindergarten. Every school that I attended, I got into trouble just by drawing. If a teacher made me mad, I sent them into a death factory complete with chainsaws and circular saw blades (on paper). That evolved into a comic character named 'Blademan' who i would send to decapitate my enemies. Between drawing bloody pictures, reading Chaos! Comics and watching horror movies, I was pretty content.


I always hear musicians talk about their root influences, which are most of the time the same four bands: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Well, those bands really do nothing for a kid obsessed with horror movies and comic books in the 90s. That's when my love for music really took off. I was twelve/thirteen and in middle school, so round about seventh grade. The school took an overnight field trip to our state capitol, Columbia SC and were allowed portable tape/cd players for the bus ride. Regretfully, I was listening to some Green Day, the Cranberries and other alternative crap when my friend, who I cut up with in science class, threw me a tape. One side was an Adam Sandler comedy record that talked about boobs and said 'fuck' a few times which was cool. The other side was White Zombie - La Sexorcisto. I instantly recognised some sound clips from Dawn of the Dead followed by enough head-banging grooves to change my perception of music for the rest of my time on this planet. I couldn't believe that someone had combined horror movies, heavy guitars and Ed Roth artwork. I begged my friend for the tape and wore the damn thing out in my walkman. As soon as I got home I bought every piece of White Zombie music I could get my hands on, hell, I still do that!




Through high school, along with taking drugs, I was playing drums in a band and sewing Halloween shit all over my clothes like a White Zombie fanboy. I like lots of bands, lots of different genres but I'll always go back to White Zombie for inspiration. White Zombie is my Led Zeppelin, my Black Sabbath. That sounds lame but it's true. For me they are the perfect band. I love horror anything really, love metal, love almost everything Ed Roth ever did. Ed Roth is the father of the rat fink and designed custom cars like the Dragula in the 50s and 60s. I would have loved to meet Ed Roth before he died. Having said all this I'm not a huge Rob Zombie fan. If he were walking my way down the street I'd run the hell away. Because I'm willing to bet my left nut he's a douche, and I'll just be damned if I let anyone ruin La Sexorcisto or Astrocreep 2000 for me.

Fogcreature is horrorstep-producer from the US. You can check out his tracks here!